- 22 July – 3 September 2017
- Various age restrictions apply
- Mostly free (certain events charged)
- Throughout the museum
- Step-free access throughout. Wheelchair-accessible toilets near museum main entrance and between Power Hall and Station Building. Read our facilities guide.
Join in the fun this summer as our Explainers get everyone imagining, making and moving with these fantastic shows, demonstrations and workshops.
- Discover how to code and spell your own name in binary, and turn it into a necklace or wristband in our Creative Coding workshop (recommended for ages 7 and older). Saturday 22 – Monday 24 July only. Drop in from 11.00am – 1.00pm.
- Be part of the latest kids' craze and make your own fidget spinner* to take home (recommended for ages 7 and older). Tuesday 25 July – Sunday 3 September. Daily sessions between 11am – 12.30pm. £1 per child. Book your tickets at the information desk on the day of your visit. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Pick a team for the Science Showdown as famous figures battle it out with their electrifying experiments (recommended for ages 5 and older). 11.30 and 1.30pm daily. Free.
- Invent a brand new bike and pedal to victory at the Inventors Wanted! Show* (ages 4–7). 10.30am and 2.30pm daily. Free, but tickets required. Book at the information desk on the day of your visit.
- Get creative and print your own steam train designs (recommended for ages 5 and older). 2.30pm – 4.30pm daily. Free.
- See our huge, noisy mill machinery in action in the Textiles Gallery (recommended for ages 5 and older).
- Experience the sights, sounds and smells of the Power Hall with our daily Engine Demonstrations (recommended for ages 7 and older).
Events may be subject to change. Please check the daily what’s on guide when you arrive for more details.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with all our family events.
*These events have a limited capacity and tickets will be available on a first come, first served basis.
More summer highlights
11 – 28 August
Tickets are on sale now for this summer’s gaming extravaganza. Find out more and book tickets here.
19 and 20 August
Join makers and creators from all over the North West for a weekend of hands-on activities. Try anything from making your own battle robots to stitching electrical circuits to racing balloon powered cars. Find out more here.